New climate change report from IPCC states that urgent change is needed to decrease the risk of rising temperatures, severe weather and poverty.
Signed in 2016, the Paris Agreement pledge was a call for action for governments to tackle climate change in order to limit global temperatures increases to between 1.5C and 2C. Now, world-leading scientists are warning that we only have 12 years for global warming to be kept to a maximum of 1.5C. Beyond this, even a 0.5 increase in global temperatures could significantly increase the likelihood of poverty for hundreds of millions of people worldwide and the risk of extreme weather such as flooding, droughts and extreme heat.
In the wake of recent natural disasters, the IPCC has made it very clear that climate change is already happening and is upgrading its risk warning as any additional temperature increases will worsen the impact. IPCC has urged that critical and unprecedented levels of change is needed to control the risks, as a 0.5C difference could have huge implications:
- At a 1.5C increase the world’s corals are at less risk of disappearing and ease pressure off the Arctic.
- The percentage of the world’s population exposed to water stress could be 50% less than at 2C
- Fewer countries worldwide would be at risk from food scarcity and climate-related poverty.
- At 2C extreme weather conditions would become more common, as would heat related deaths and forest fires.
- Insects and plants are almost twice as likely to lose half their habitat at 2C compared with 1.5C
- Rising sea levels could affect 10 million more people by 2100 with the 0.5C increase putting additional pressure on coastlines
What are we doing to help?
The IPCC has issued four main pathways to achieving the 1.5C target, including enormous shifts in energy systems and transport. At Sustainable Flow, we create conscious technology systems and promote social awareness of the issue to make real progress on climate change. Our range of superior monopolar magnets has a wide range of water and fuel saving applications designed to cut levels of harmful pollutants in exhaust emissions.
What can you do to make a difference?
If you’re eager to start making a difference, check out our 5 Savvy Alternatives to Household Plastic or find out The Best Ways to Reduce Your Personal Carbon Emissions. Or get in touch and talk to Sustainable Flow today!